New Years Resolutions

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

I mentioned to my coworker that I was resolving to eat something green everyday, and she declared that I was silly. Oh well, to each our own!

Additional goals for this year:
- learn to preserve the summer bounty of local produce so I can better use it in the winter.
- try to waste less food.
- continue to resist buying cookbooks.
- establish a routine for browsing magazines in the library.
- lessen my sugar intake.
- bring lunch to work at least once a week.

It’s all one step at a time- though it is kind of fun to run with it this time of year.

What are y’all up to?

posted January 2nd, 2008 at 6:14 pm

(1) Survive until 2009.

damn your flu / cold is that bad? :(
Or is this a reference to classes?

- tedder
posted January 3rd, 2008 at 9:35 am

Last year my hobbies were food and movie critic. Neither of which were good for my waist/waste line. This year, I am buying a 1963 Rambler American 440 that needs restored. Perhaps it will help me avoid eating so much, but then again, the fun picnics that can be driven to in a Rambler… and the celebration of each step of its restoration… LOL

- Joe
posted January 3rd, 2008 at 6:58 pm

Wasting less food is at the top of my list. I am lucky enough to have access to really great, fresh food, much of it from local producers, but then life gets ahead of me and I don’t cook with it all as planned. I’m working on making two shopping trips a week this year and buying less during each one. We’ll see how that works out for me.

posted January 4th, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Wow I should really be copying your resolutions for myself! I definitely waste too much food and money and should start bringing lunch to work!

Happy New Year!

posted January 5th, 2008 at 8:20 pm

Oh yeah, one other resolution: recycle more. We spent the day cleaning out our garage (I feel so accomplished!) and set up a whole recycling center. It’s amazing to truly recycle everything we can I have to go to three different places in town in addition to our regular recycling pick up. I can’t include composting in my recycling because I have a totally black thumb, but I figure if I combine my waste less food resolution with recycle more they will work well together.

posted January 7th, 2008 at 12:28 pm

It’s not silly at all to eat something green every day. It’s a ritual with me to ask my husband, if I haven’t decided already, “So do you want salad or something else green?” I can’t imagine a dinner without something green.

I’m with you on the bringing lunch to work. I have a plan – I have a big blue piggy bank that I’ve been tossing excess change and bills in, and every time I bring my lunch to work instead of going out, I’m going to stick a $5 bill in there. Breakfast I already bring from home, but I’m a Starbuck’s snob, so I’m going to slow down the Starbuck’s. I’ll stick $2 in the bank every time I bring coffee in my Starbuck’s mug instead of buy it.

- Cyndi
posted January 8th, 2008 at 5:38 pm

You are silly, I have a memo signed by one of your professors in college that says so. I’m guessing you might be eating a lot of frogs this year. Poor Kermit.

Hmmm- did I resolve to eat new-to-me meats this year?

- Jeromy
posted January 10th, 2008 at 6:41 pm

There are some lollipops that are green…;-) I am with you on the bring lunch to work though, I am notorious for “forgetting”. Or being lazy. Good reminders to stay motivated!

posted January 12th, 2008 at 3:29 pm

I eat a salad several times a week but I want to incorporate more greens. So I’m all with you for that one as well as the reducing sugar. That stuff is in everything!! Wishing you good luck from Corvallis.

- Tricia
posted January 24th, 2008 at 10:24 am

That’s a really great list! Mine was so lame in comparison! (I only had one resolution…to stop talking about…well, I cant say, I stopped talking about it…LOL)